Saturday 10 January 2015

Saturday 10th January 

15.5 miles @ 8.09 p/m 
2hrs 6 mins 
Canals 

This weekend was definitely a case of getting in the long run when I could! I wasn't sure how it was going to go today - after celebrating Sian's 40th birthday yesterday at Turners Restaurant, an experience of culinary expertise and over indulgence! We enjoyed the Michellin starred restaurants 10 course taster menu; wonderful concoctions that really were a once in a lifetime, or at least not a frequent dine! It was rest, but we were absolutely stuffed by the finale of the exquisite chocolate and cheesecake, and bottle of champagne. So Sian's starts a new decade ….

I've been feeling really tired too after a vey busy first week at work and not enough quality sleep. Delilah has taken to sleeping on our bedroom floor and waking me up in the middle of the night which hasn't helped, although it has cured James' sleepwalking. So I wasn't sure how the long run would go down physically, as I set off just after a simple lunch early afternoon on a bright but very windy Saturday afternoon.

Headed off down the usual route through Harborne walkway and on to the canals to town, before heading back out towards the Uni and finding a convenient loop around Kings Norton to increase the mileage. Was scheduled to run a c 8.45 p/m pace but ran more to feel, than order, and felt good at just over 8 minute mile pace, so stuck with it throughout. I may suffer for this a little tomorrow, but on the run it was fine, buoyed with some decent old school hip-hop tunes, and was generally comfortable for the full run, slightly over the scheduled 15 miles. I guess that's a good omen, I must be getting naturally fitter, and I do think that running after a meal is often easier than first thing in the morning, when your metabolism has kicked in for the day.

So, that's the first 15 miler concluded, now taking it easy for the rest of the day as Sian heads out with her teacher clan to the Bank, for a meal in time, leaving me for a boy's night in! Think I'll reward myself with an early night ……


No comments:

Post a Comment