Sunday 12 April 2015

Week 16

54.5 miles 

Good week of running including my longest training run; enjoying the blend of long runs with shorter, quicker efforts. Hard work out the way now, time to enjoy a decent taper 

Wednesday 8th April 

Gym 
6 miles in all - 4 easy miles on the treadmill 

After yesterday recovery from the long run on Easter Monday, this was just and easy hour or so in the gym, although the legs were feeling pretty good. I think it may have been the long post-run bath that helped. Katy was in the gym, so we had a good running catch up - she's now close to Boston, but with an injury ravished final month, is still uncertain as to whether it's a viable proposition. I reckon with the opportunity to try such a famous race, it's worth the punt, albeit with different running expectations.

Thursday 9th April 

Gym 
6.2 miles, inc. 6x600m @ 6.00-6.20 p/m (9.3 - 10 mph) 

Strength and condition was on the schedule at BVH, so with the family still in Wales, I skipped the club and commuted to a speedier work out in the gym. Ironic really, as the weather has been fantastic this week, whilst I've been training inside!

Working on one of the new Precor machines for the first time, I really enjoyed this session; comfortably hard at just under half a mile per rep, but giving a decent work out. The fitness does seem to coming through and I think the speed work may just make a difference; I guess we'll see

Saturday 11th April 

5.02m @ 7.15 p/m 
36 mins 
Harborne walkway 

It was one of those stinking mornings where I didn't fancy going out at all. With the guys back from Wales, early was the only option so I zipped up the man-suit, felt in the mood for a bit of Queen, and headed out into the rain. The schedule was for a tune-up race so I thought it was best to run hardish, and kind of enjoyed the 5 miler down the walkway and back. Job done, pleased with the pace

Sunday 12th April 

15.2 miles @ 8.18 p/m 
2hrs 6 mins 
A4040 route 

Another early start for the last longish run of the training programme. Cool, dry morning and as I'd done the last long one around Villa Park in previous years, thought I'd stick with tradition! Headed into town, out to Aston and the never ending A4040! Felt good for the first few miles, taking it nice and easy, enjoying passing a variety of blossoming magnolias and cheery trees, and tuning into Marathon Talk, whiling away the time. After an hour or so though, I seemed to lose a little interest in the run; perhaps it was knowing the big race s pretty close, but finished in a lacklustre manner. All done though, so will now try and eat well for the last couple of weeks (the nutrition side has been very poor for the duration of the training), sleep well and taper properly. Wonder if this will be the last marathon training programme for me, I'm not convinced that I'm going to go through it again for York later in the year.





No comments:

Post a Comment