Thursday 23 April 2015

Tuesday 21st April 

7.25m @8.32 p/m 
61 mins 
after work with Jack - Star City canal route 

Starting now to count down the last few runs. No club run yesterday as it was the BVH AGM, so I was itching to get out and enjoy the fantastic weather after work. Took it really easy with Jack, on the Star City route, passing Burnt Car Alley and the less celubrious parts of the City Centre! Really enjoyable run. Not long to go and having a sports massage tomorrow too.

There were some great runs in the marathons last weekend; Rachel did a superb 3.39 and Simon a really controlled 3.26 at Manchester, amongst others, and Katy did a good Boston Marathon too. Maybe I'll have to re-evaluate my super conservative approach? ….

Thursday 23rd April 

4.23m @ 7.33 p/m - with 6x50m strides 
31 mins 
Harborne 

Really is starting to feel close now and I've started to think abut what I need for Sunday - the forecast looks like it's going to be wet; perhaps light rain, perhaps heavy, and between 10 and 15 degrees. After the hot ones in the past few years, this sounds great! Staring to get nervous too, not sure why but I guess it's not a bad thing. I know I've done all the training and the marathon isn't a mystery, but you can't help having all the 'what if?' scenarios.

Survived yesterday's massage. I'm not sure if it was a good thing but Sian booked me in to see Govinder, a lady who has just set up in Harborne, for a sports massage. This is the first of any massage I've had for a very long time and focussed on the legs for an hour. Surprised as there are no real knots, but she managed to really stretch out the calves in particular, and I was feeling a little sore in the calves and quads afterwards, doubting whether it was too close to the race, as i was hobbling around

Today's run gave it credibility though. Felt great - a real gentle run around Harborne in the early evening sunshine. Tried taking it really easily but was still sauntering around at around 7.30 pace, quicker than marathon, and legs feeling very springy. Last run I think, bar a very gentle 20 min Saturday morning jog. I think I'm still looking forward to it …..

Think i've decided on strategy now - if it is light rain and mild, I'll aim to go out at 7.50 pace, for 3.25. If it's not, i'll go out a bit slower and lay it by feel.



No comments:

Post a Comment