Monday 6 April 2015

Monday 6th April 

22.1 miles @ 8.15 p/m 
3hrs 2 min 

I think this may have been my longest non-marathon run ever! I wasn't intending it to be but it just felt right. I left the family down in Wales last night, after a gorgeous morning on the Black Mountains and fun packed Easter Egg hunt, so had no excuse not to get up really early for this last long run on the Pfitzinger training plan, scheduled for 20 miles. The forecast was pretty glum, but the BBC thankfully got it wrong!

Up at 6.30 and headed out in full race gear (to make sure the Bliss Vest felt OK) into a very foggy Brum. Took it really easy for the first few miles, over to Woodgate Valley and up to KE 5 Ways and Rubery, with a decent variety of climbs too. The sun then burnt off the mist and it was a glorious morning, one of those that makes you pleased to be alive, and a runner! Enjoying Marathon Talk and Tom Williams was talking through his experience of following the Pfitzinger Plan and of taking into his stride easy long runs up to 22 miles. This planted the idea and as I was feeling good, why not?

Headed out across the Rea Valley and wasn't feeling the aches I've felt towards the end miles of some of the earlier runs, so headed into town and came back up through Winson Green on the Harborne Walk Way. The pace was gradually being picked up throughout, and the post-20 miles seemed OK. Really pleased with this run, now I can properly taper and try and maintain this. Again, a little quicker than intended, averaging 8.15 p/m, but certainly this has given me confidence to go just that last few miles on the Marathon Day. I know I have the legs, it'll depend on the conditions I think, hoping for a cool, gloomy day!

That's 5 runs now totalling 100 miles, really pleased!



No comments:

Post a Comment