Monday 15 December 2014

Sunday 14th December 

12m @ 8.16 p/m 
1 hr 39 mins 

Cornish running, back to my roots! I was really looking forward to this long run, fitting it into a whistle stop Santa tour back home. I was aiming for a really early start but an evening of drinking Monkey Shoulder whiskey with my Dad, washing down fish and chips but paid to that, as I woke with my a taste of a personal distillery tour! It wasn't going to deter me though, it really is a rare treat being able to run around the areas of my youth, those distances that seem so far as a child but in reality our just fractions of miles!

It was a typically Cornish mizzly morning, sleepy with just a few cyclists out enjoying the mild air. I was planning to go to Tehidy but instead went down through Penponds (the old cross country route from school, this time without non-wickable thick rugby top), up to Carnhell Green and across to Praze-an-Beeble. It's a great route along mainly country lanes and to the tune of Marathon talk podcast, took it nice and easy. Speed was irrelevant, just looking to enjoy. The route meandered back into Camborne and a quick tour of the town brought me back to my old school and home. Lots of sentimentality and nothing too arduous, managing to free me of the schedules of yesterday's drinking!

Missed the Sneyd Xmas Pudding Run as a consequence of travelling down to Cornwall, but with a great opportunity to spend time with my Dad, Maureen and nan, and then staying with Ro and Jake on the Sunday, it was well worth it.

As I write this though (Monday evening) I'm feeling the effect of all the travelling. Sian likens the trip to travelling to the end of the earth, and it is a long way. I'm truly knackered. Missed BVH tonight as well, just too much to do.

After a really good first week, I think the reality of Xmas is going to kick in big time this week (a whirl of parties, client visits and carol services) so this could severely limit the training. I'll have to see what I can fit in, but i'm not going to beat myself up.

Week 1 Summary 

35 miles 

Feeling good, excellent start; particularly in having travelled to Cornwall and enjoyed Dan's birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment